Nothing says fall like warm, delicious baked apple recipes. I am sharing one of my favorite fall recipes with you today! These Apple Spice Cupcakes are divine and the Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting puts them over the top. Each bite transports you to a cozy fall day with a cool breeze and crips leaves falling all around you. A perfect fall treat. Get the full recipe below!
Apple Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Prep: 20 minutes| Cook Time: 20 minutes | Cool Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Main Cupcake Ingredients:
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1\2 cup melted unsalted butter
⅔ cup light brown sugar
⅓ cup apple cider
2 tsp vanilla extract
Apple topping ingredients:
2 honeycrisp apples (diced)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1\4 cup room temp unsalted butter
4 oz room temp full fat cream cheese
½ tsp vanilla
⅛ tsp salt
1.5 cup powdered sugar (see additional notes)
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry main cupcake ingredients (flour through nutmeg) and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine wet main cupcake ingredients (melted butter through vanilla).
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing to fully incorporate. Mixture will be somewhat thick.
- Scoop 2 Tbsp of mixture into each cupcake liner and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine all apple topping ingredients and place on medium heat for approximately 3 minutes until butter has melted and apples have slightly softened.
- Scoop 1 Tbsp of apples onto each cupcake. Place in oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, add butter and cream cheese to stand mixer with paddle attachment. Combine on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Turn speed to low and slowly add powdered sugar until fully combined. Pause to scrape the bowl and taste frosting. Add additional powdered sugar for a sweeter frosting if desired.*
- Add in cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
- Continue to mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Transfer frosting to pipping bag.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
Additional notes: To ensure a smooth frosting, use a fork to remove any clumps in powdered sugar before adding to mixture. For a sweeter frosting, you can add up to 2 cups of powdered sugar total.*
Are these not the most delicious apple cupcakes ever? So easy and a crowd pleaser. Happy Fall!