Animal Crossing: New Horizons is our families latest obsession. It has provided endless fun for us and also a cool creative outlet. Have you played it yet? Looking for a few ways to up your game? My kids and I came together to share some of our favorite Animal Crossing: New Horizons Tips & Tricks! These are great for any level, whether you are new or have been playing a while, I think you will find them useful.
About the Game
Escape to a deserted island and create your own paradise as you explore, create, and customize in the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game. Your island getaway has a wealth of natural resources that can be used to craft everything from tools to creature comforts. You can hunt down insects at the crack of dawn, decorate your paradise throughout the day, or enjoy sunset on the beach while fishing in the ocean. The time of day and season match real life, so each day on your island is a chance to check in and find new surprises all year round.
• Build your community from scratch on a deserted island brimming with possibility
• Create your personal getaway and customize your character, home, decorations, and even the landscape itself
• Collect materials to construct everything from furniture to tools! Then, use what you create to give your island a personal touch
• Watch as the time of day and seasons match real life—even your hemisphere! Each day holds potential for surprises and discoveries
• Get to know the island residents, garden, fish, decorate, hunt for fossils, and more!
10 Animal Crossing: New Horizon Tips & Tricks
- Pay off your loan ASAP to unlock more. Everyone starts off with a loan, but once you pay it off you can upgrade from a tent to a house. This gives you the ability to save items in your home’s in-built storage, which can come in very handy!
- Make friends with the villagers. Be sure to talk to the other villagers to and build a friendship with them. Once you become friendly and visit often, then you get the option to give them presents after a few days. You want to do this since they’ll often give you things in return too!
- Balloons and bottles give you free stuff. There are two regular items that will arrive on your island that you should look out for. Once or twice a day you can find little bottles that wash up on the beach. These will have a letter from a random source, and a crafting recipe. You never know what kind of recipe you’ll get, but if you already have the recipe in your list, you can always sell it.
- Catch all kinds of fish and bugs. Different Fish and Bugs are found on your island depending on everything from the time of day, the weather, and the month. Some bugs won’t appear unless certain conditions are met. Try things like chopping trees, leave out fruit or rotten turnips, shake trees, and dig where you hear strange noises. Bugs can appear in all kinds of places. Fish are much harder to predict.
- Clear out any weeds that surround trees and rocks. If items fall from the trees and land in the weeds, they will bounce away or disappear. You want anything that falls to have a safe place to land so that you can scoop it up.
- Check the recycle bin inside Nook Services often. We have found some neat items in here.
- Your home is inspected by the Happy Home Academy every week, and the more furniture you add, the better off it is. You can get bonus points by adding in seasonal decor and furniture sets. You can get furniture all sorts of ways, including having it gifted or by buying it. The easiest way is by creating your own through DIY Recipes. It takes some time to craft these, but they are so fun to do!
- The easiest way to earn bells is to sell fruit on your island. There are five types of fruit in New Horizons; apples, pears, oranges, cherries and peaches. These are worth 100 Bells, while foreign fruit are 500 Bells. You will want to plant as many non native trees as well to help build your inventory and earn those bells.
- Be on the lookout for special holidays and events that take place in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. These are to coincide with real-world festivals and holidays. Watch the message board. We loved seeing the fireworks during July 4th weekend!
- Travel to a new island. Earn Nook Miles and head to the Resident Services tent and use the Nook Stop terminal. A Nook Miles Ticket costs 2,000 Nook Miles. You can earn these by completing tasks around your island and redeeming them on your phone. When you visit a new island you can collect foreign fruit, flowers, rocks, meet new villages and invite them to your island.
Doesn’t this sound like so much fun? I love the slower pace, life like feel of this game. The cause and effect is oddly satisfying. We geek out over letters sent to one another, villagers visiting, and in game events. It is a ton of fun and we are just scratching the surface of Animal Crossing:New Horizons. Happy gaming!
Enter to win a copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch! Comment below and tell me if you’d like to visit an Island!