My daughter loves all things American Girl! She was eagerly anticipating the arrival of this year’s Girl of the Year! When the box came, she literally jumped for joy when she opened it to find Joss.
Joss Kendrick. is the 2020 Girl of the Year! ™ Joss is a fierce athlete born with hearing loss and a passion for surfing and competitive cheer — joins American Girl’s lineup of inspirational characters who impart meaningful life lessons to help girls learn and grow with confidence. Whether she’s on her surfboard or in the gym, Joss shows girls the importance of trying new things, pushing past stereotypes, and being a good team player.
Fun Facts About The Girls of the Year 2020, Joss
- Joss grows up in Huntington Beach, California, also known as “Surf City U.S.A.”
- To create Joss, American Girl worked closely with a team of experts specializing in surfing, competitive cheerleading, and hearing loss, including: Crystal DaSilva—Women’s Deaf Shortboard champion and winner of national and world titles, & Sara Jo Moen & Julie Peterson—Owners of Fury Athletics in Madison, WI, a training gym for competitive cheer teams, & Dr. Sharon Pajka, Ph.D.—Professor of English at Gallaudet University and a specialist in portrayals of deaf characters in adolescent literature. These are just a few of the experts involved with the development of Joss.
- Joss accepts a dare to try out for cheerleading!
- Joss is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids.
- Joss has a pet English Bulldog named Murph the Surf Dog.
“American Girl has a rich legacy of creating timeless characters who encourage girls to reach for new heights and discover who they’re meant to be,” said Jamie Cygielman, General Manager of American Girl. “We’re proud to welcome Joss Kendrick, whose stories are sure to instill confidence and character in girls who are learning to think about the possibilities in their own lives. Working with Olympic hopeful surfer Caroline Marks adds real-world inspiration about what can happen when you go ‘all in’ on your dreams.”
My daughter loves that Joss too loves the water and cheering! What a fun and unique combo of talent and strength. We have begun reading the first of the two Joss books, and we are invested in her story and cheering her on page by page. When my daughter saw Joss had hearing aids, she had a big smile telling me, “Look Mom! Joss has a hearing aid just like a little girl in my school.” It is so cool and important for kids to see themselves in these dolls. As a mother, I love what American Girl teaches my daughters about confidence, character, dreaming, and everything in between! Joss embodies many great qualities and has a fantastic story to share with your daughters, too!
Enter to win your very own Joss!
Winner will be shipped a Joss doll and book.
I was provided with product in exchange for my honest review. As always all opinions are 100% my own.