One of my favorite childhood characters from movies and books is coming back to the big screen. This time with all new adventures, but with much of the same magical and timeless reminders. I have watched and re-watched this trailer about 10 times. It makes me want to jump for joy and cry a river of nostalgic tears at the same time. I could not have hand picked a better cast. I am so excited to hear the songs and watch this new story come December. It is going to be practically perfect in every way! These are my top 5 favorite moments from the trailer.
- When Mary Poppins descends gracefully from the clouds. As the clouds open up, so do the water works. There is just something about seeing her arrive on the scene that serves up new feelings of hope and excitement. I am wishing I was a Banks child all over again.
- Seeing Mary and the kids be immersed and swept up in a colorful land of cartoon fun! Oh it looks like a jolly holiday alright! I love that same look and feel as the original is embodied in these short clips. It makes me want to get up and dance. I literally grin ear to ear as I watch this part.
- Let’s go fly a kite! Seeing the little boy run wild and free in the wind with his kite is a childhood moment I wish I could bottle up and save for a rainy day. So pure and innocent.
- The return of the Chimney Sweeps! This was only for a few brief seconds, but as they leaped in unison and jumped off of the light posts, again I am waiting to jump up and join in! These characters are one of my favorite parts from the original, and I can not wait to see their song and dance again.
- I love the message of “When you lose your way, just remember the magic always returns.” How spot on is this? We as grown ups lose our way often; if only we could remember the magic during the hard, sad times. I am excited to see just how Mary Poppins brings the magic back to the Banks household.
Watch the new trailer here:
In Disney’s MARY POPPINS RETURNS, an all-new original musical and sequel, Mary Poppins is back to help the next generation of the Banks family find the joy and wonder missing in their lives following a personal loss. Emily Blunt stars as the practically-perfect nanny with unique magical skills who can turn any ordinary task into an unforgettable, fantastic adventure and Lin-Manuel Miranda plays her friend Jack, an optimistic street lamplighter who helps bring light—and life—to the streets of London.
MARY POPPINS RETURNS is directed by Rob Marshall. The screenplay is by David Magee and the screen story is by Magee & Rob Marshall & John DeLuca based upon the Mary Poppins Stories by PL Travers. The producers are John DeLuca, p.g.a., Rob Marshall, p.g.a. and Marc Platt, p.g.a. with Callum McDougall serving as executive producer. The music score is by Marc Shaiman and the film features all new original songs with music by Shaiman and lyrics by Scott Wittman and Shaiman. The film also stars Ben Whishaw as Michael Banks; Emily Mortimer as Jane Banks; Julie Walters as the Banks’ housekeeper Ellen; Pixie Davies, Nathanael Saleh and introducing Joel Dawson as the Banks’ children, with Colin Firth as Fidelity Fiduciary Bank’s William Weatherall Wilkins; and Meryl Streep as Mary’s eccentric cousin, Topsy. Angela Lansbury appears as the Balloon Lady, a treasured character from the the PL Travers books and Dick Van Dyke is Mr. Dawes, Jr., the retired chairman of the bank now run by Firth’s character.
MARY POPPINS RETURNS arrives in theatres everywhere on December 19th!
Like MARY POPPINS RETURNS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marypoppinsreturns/
Follow Walt Disney Studios on Twitter: https://twitter.com/disneystudios
Follow MARY POPPINS RETURNS on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marypoppinsreturns/